If you're like me and don't have much time during the day for touch ups to your make-up, then you want to trust that once you apply your foundation in the morning it will last all day with the smallest amount of interference. So here are my quick tips to help your foundation last longer!
1. - Start with a clean face, this will ensure your products glide on smoothly and your skin is clear of dirt and excess oils.
2. - Apply your moisturiser and leave it for 5 minutes to fully soak into your skin. If after 5 minutes, you can still feel the moisturiser on your skin, then you are using the wrong formula and should opt for a lighter product.
If you have oily skin, choose a light-weight formula that will add hydration but reduce the appearance of oil and shine. For dry skin, use a rich, concentrated moisturiser that will add moisture back into your skin and help prevent flaking.
3. - Next step is to apply primer. This product is made to help smoothen the surface of your skin to help any further products you use to glide on and stay on for long periods of time. A primer will act like a 'magnet' between your moisturiser and your foundation.
At the moment, I am loving Mary Kay Cosmetic's Foundation Primer (£14/29ml) but I also really like Benefit's Porefessional (£23.50/22ml) and Maybelline The Smoother Skin Retexturising Primer (£9.99/7ml).
4. - Once your primer has settled into the skin, apply your concealer and highlighter in the normal way. If you have heavy blemishes, you may need to apply additional layers of concealer on top of your foundation for a full coverage.
5. - Next step is to apply your foundation. Do this in the way that is most comfortable for you, whether this is using your fingers, a sponge or brush. Personally, I prefer to use a buffing brush as I feel this gives you a lovely airbrushed finish.
6. - Once you have applied your foundation, leave it to settle for 5 minutes. Now I appreciate that not many people have loads of time in the morning, but if you want to help your make-up to last then it is important to allow your make-up to settle before applying the next layer. Perhaps you can use this time to do something else, like start getting dressed or have breakfast? Personally I like to apply my foundation and then have my morning cup of tea.
7. - Once you have allowed your foundation to settle onto your skin, powder!! This is a very essential step if you have oily skin like I do. Apply a layer of translucent powder onto your skin using a large powder brush, or try using a mineral powder foundation and buff into your skin using a buffing brush. This will set your foundation and help it to last.
8. - This step is optional, but beneficial if you have oily skin. Keep a pack of oil blotters in your bag for touch ups throughout the day. I say touch ups, but the blotting papers will gently remove the excess oil that sits on your skin and will leave a slight powder behind to help keep you looking matt throughout the day.
Now you should be set to stay looking pretty all day long!!
Enjoy my lovelies!!